Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Just a note

So now a personal link to the Chester County Sports Hall of Fame. Way back when I spent some time swimming at the West Chester University pool, getting pointers from a man named John Hay. I didn't know of his accomplishments at that time, nor did I really understand his deep connections to the community when I again received swimming pointers from him during the inaugural season of the West Chester Water Rats (now the WCAY Marlins). This article in the Daily Local is full of those facts that follow a life such as his, much better than I ever could. I can't go to the induction ceremony as he enters the Hall this weekend, I didn't even know till last night he was to be honored, and to be honest, I have not been in touch with Mr. Hay for many, many years. That is my point.
While chatting with my son's swim coach, Mr. Hay came up and I learned that he was coaching at WCU. I thought to myself that it would be nice to drop in to say hello, he was kind enough to email notes regarding my editorial offerings in the DLN...but life intervened and less than a month after learning where he was, he passed.
Life does that, punches you in the gut when you don't do those things you should do.

No comments: