Monday, November 15, 2010

Airport Security

I think I may have touched on this in the past, but it is time to do it again. There is a famous Ben Frankilin idea that those who give up liberty for security deserve neither. I agree with this, if we allow the police to stop us on the street for no reason, we have given up liberty for security (stop and frisk). That only pertains to walking along the street though, once we enter a car, a bus, a train, or a plane, we have surrendered some of our liberties for the convenience those conveyances provide. This is fine with me and should be fine with the rest of us as well.
We have no right, either express or implied in any of our founding documents to travel from one place to another in any way other than our own two feet. I do, however, have the right to feel safe as I walk from here to there; I have the right to expect the people on planes are not carrying on any item that could be used to kill me on the ground with that plane. I have the right to expect that the other guy in the other car is not drunk (implied consent).

I wish those who travel by plane would either stop whining or flying.

No comments: