Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Politics

The Iowa Caucuses are over and Mitt Romney will be the Republican nominee for President this year. Rick Santorum, who finished a close second (by eight votes), is not a good national candidate, Ron Paul who took third place is too isolationist for most of the republican party, and Newt is simply hated by the electable center right candidate that the republican establishment thinks we need to beat President Obama. Personally I think a tomato can could beat Mr. Obama in the fall, unless everything turns around or he gets us into a real shooting war, but I am just a silly man from Pennsylvania, my opinion on who should be the nominee does not matter. This leads me to the real reason for this post, and I am going to fly by the seat of my pants on this one, no more links.
Parties should pick candidates for higher office in the space of a week, or, since we pick the actual President in one day, we should pick the nominee in one day. The usefulness of conventions is over, they are now simply a reason for local big-wigs to leave home, get drunk, and do nothing else. Hold primaries in June, that gives the candidates 5 months to campaign for the big job. It also limits the amount of money needed. They spent $12 million on TV alone in Iowa, with each sate expecting big money from now till spring, except of course all the states after Super Tuesday. Those states have no real choice as most hangers-on have left the races by then. It is silly for me to even choose a name when I go into the booth, the decision has been made already.
I will still go vote though, there are other races that mean something, mostly local. When I am king of the world, after the welfare recipients are put to work (after the drug tests), after businesses are fined for hiring illegal workers, and after Obama-care is repealed, the first thing I am going to do is make it illegal to hold caucuses or primary elections in another week other than the first week of June!

1 comment:

J. R Wagner said...

I like it! The dog and pony show has long passed its usefulness.